1st Bookham Scout Group is located in Bookham, Surrey.
Bookham lies 3 kilometres west of Leatherhead on the A246 towards Guildford. The Group is one of six within Leatherhead Scout District, which comprises Leatherhead itself and the surrounding villages of Ashtead, Bookham, Effingham and Fetcham.
The Group celebrated its centenary in 2009, and currently has over 200 members. It operates two Beaver Colonies, two Cub packs, two Scout troops, has a ‘partnership’ agreement with an Explorer Unit and an association with a core group of Network Scouts. The Group scarf is of dark green and burgundy/pink halves.
The two Beaver Colonies are Heron and Puffin, the two Cub Packs are Ash and Oak and two Scout Troops are Greville and Hutchison. Greville Troop takes its name from the Mrs Greville who occupied the nearby Polesden Lacey estate until 1942, now managed by the National Trust and Hutchison Troop after Captain Robert Hutchison, a former Scout Leader within the Group and District Commissioner of the previous joint Epsom and Leatherhead District.
The Group had its Headquarters, shared with 3rd Bookham Scout Group, in two huts west of the Bookham High Street on Lower Rd. Both Groups moved to our newer joint HQ in 2008, which is an impressive facility.
The Group is managed by a Group Scout Leader (GSL) and is supported by a Group Executive Committee. Any enquiries should in the first instance be directed through Christine Whale (who is our GSL) who can be contacted by email on